As usual I have searched the internet to look for sites that have recipes that look like our family would like, and I have found a winner again with this one. I found it here:
This soup is amazing on its own, or enjoyed with a grilled cheese sandwich (who doesn’t love grilled cheese and tomatoe soup)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 1 cup finely diced carrots
- 1 cup finely diced onions
- 2 tablespoons all purpose or gluten-free flour
- 3 1/2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth (or vegetable for vegetarians)
- 1 3/4 cups reduced fat (2%) milk
- 28 oz can San Marzano whole plum tomatoes, with juice
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- Parmesan or Romano cheese rind (optional)
- 1/3 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, or more to taste
- fresh black pepper, to taste
- Use the saute button on the Instant Pot, then add the oil and butter, when melted add the celery, carrots and onions; cook 5 to 6 minutes, or until tender.
- Add the flour, stir and cook 1 to 2 minutes. Add the broth, milk, and pour the juice of the tomatoes into the Instant Pot, then roughly crush the tomatoes with your hands; add to the pot. Add the thyme, basil, and bay leaves and parmesan rind if using.
- Cover and cook high pressure 30 minutes. Quick or natural release, remove the cheese rind and herbs then blend the soup using an immersion blender until smooth (or you can carefully do this in small batches in the blender).
- Add the 1/3 cup grated Pecorino cheese, salt and pepper, adjusting to taste.
- To serve, ladle into bowls, top each with basil and 1 teaspoon parmesan
again I found this recipe here: https://www.skinnytaste.com/instant-pot-tomato-basil-soup/#l0KVJaxOCVizBLCK.99