Journal

Everyday we choose to focus on the positive or the negative

I’ve been struggling with how to write this for a few weeks. It’s something I really want to focus on this year, but something I’m really struggling to do, which makes me think that I should let someone who does it well already write about it…but I’m going to give it a go.

It’s so much easier to focus on what is frustrating and “bad” in my day than to focus on what is “good”. I guess it takes time to change the way we think. But that’s not going to stop me from trying. One of my goals for this year is to focus on what is good everyday and try to ignore what isn’t. Or at least not let that consume my day. I know that it will take a lot of practise and hard work to change the way I look at things. The sad thing about it all is that my logical brain knows that there is probably only 10% of things in my day that are bad and the other 90% are things that I shouldn’t take for granted and should be thankful for. Unfortunately my emotional brain seems to want to focus all my attention on that 10%. I have read so many books that talk about tips and tricks on how to get out of the cycle of focusing on what is making me unhappy and instead focus on all the things that are fantastic and that I should focus my attention on. I know it will be a work in progress, but hopefully soon it will be a habit to focus on what is good and let the negative pass by without more than a few seconds of thought about it.

The other thing I want to focus on is “me”. Now I know that sounds selfish. But what I really mean is that I want to focus on me and my goals and achievements and stop comparing myself to others. It just ends up discouraging me from even trying to achieve the goals that I set for myself because I feel like I’m failing before I even get started. I had written a post about making goals and resolutions but not announcing them, just clapping for yourself when you achieve them. And I thought that was brilliant, but am still having a hard time sticking with my own goals.

I read this fellow bloggers post just over a week ago, and have shared it on social media and reread it numerous times. This year I am going to ” water my own plants”.

Please take the time to read it

https://thesunshinethagain.wordpress.com/2018/01/18/water-your-own-plants/

4 thoughts on “Everyday we choose to focus on the positive or the negative

  1. Well said Karen. ..and very true a lot of positive every day , but we tend to focus on the 10 % bad. ..We don’t have to look around far and see that our 10 % negative we tend to want to focus on is nothing compared to do many challenges many people are faced with each day. ..
    Very good goal to work towards! ! I think I’ll join you …
    One of my ( poor me ) that I remember is when grandpa couldn’t walk with me anymore and it was , well I can’t walk anymore I have no one to walk with .
    Then I was talking to a friend who had been having health issues and could not walk for over 5 months. .That made me stop feeling sorry for myself. ..And get out walking by myself. .

    Liked by 1 person

  2. Oh how easy it seems to focus on me! 🙂 (not selfish either). Good luck with that goal. I have a similar goal and this year is the year that I stop putting off everything I want for the sake of others. It is off to a good start. May you be successful.

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s